Thursday, June 20, 2013

Santorini Fish Pedicure

Hello from the beautiful Santorini - sunshine, amazing views, delicious wines, and fish pedicures!  

I'd heard about fish pedicures in the past and it just seemed a little creepy - but walking by "Kissing Fish" in Oia definitely made me curious enough to want to try one. 

The types of fish are called "Garra rufa" or "doctor fish."  Luckily they don't have any teeth!  Once entering the salon, you choose a length of treatment (10,20, or 30 min).  I went for the 20 minute experience.  After being directed to clean my legs, the salon person ensured my feet/legs were free of lotion and/or abrasions.  Then it was time to go in!

Right away, the fish seemed to know they hit the jackpot with my feet.  It felt like a bunch of little bubbles tickling me - actually relaxing.  The only strange part was when I'd look down and see a bunch of small fish having me as dinner.  

After the "pedicure" was finished, I was instructed to not wash my feet until the next morning.  This apparently would allow the "fish saliva" make my feet even softer.  

It was a very fun and unique experience, but I don't think my feet feel any different. Looks like I'll be happily returning to my regular pedicure routine back in the US. 


No comments:

Post a Comment