Thursday, September 26, 2013

Stitch Fix #1

This is a post about a personal styling/shopping service I discovered and decided to try out.

I should start off by admitting that I don't really consider myself an effective shopper when it comes to buying new clothes.  If I'm on the mission for something specific (jeans, dress, dress pants, shoes, etc) I do ok, but I'm not very good at just going into a store and trying on a bunch of things to figure out what looks good.  On a daily basis, I spend most of my time wearing scrubs but I try to dress up whenever I have the chance.  My latest personal style challenge to myself is to find some stylish, casual tops to wear with jeans that aren't t-shirts or sweat shirts.  This (in addition to not having tons of spare time) is why I was very curious to try Stitch Fix.

Here is how it works:
1.  Fill out a VERY extensive style and sizing profile on their website
2.  Sign up for when you would like to have your "fix" delivered.  The styling fee is $20 and includes all shipping.
3.  When your fix arrives, spend 3 days deciding which items you would like to keep by trying everything on at home. If you keep anything, the $20 styling fee is deducted from the items cost. The items you don't keep are sent back in a pre-paid USPS envelope.  If you decided to keep the whole box (5 items), you'll get the entire contents of the box for 25% off.
4.  Review all the items online.  By providing feedback about fit, styles, and colors, supposedly each future fix becomes even more tailored to your unique style.
5.  Sign up for your next fix!  Another option is to sign up to get a "fix" monthly.  I personally decided I would schedule periodically on my own in case I ended up keeping multiple items from a box and
didn't plan on purchasing new clothes for a while.

With each item they also send a styling card with ideas for how to combine each item with clothing already in your closet.  For my first fix, I didn't request anything specific but I did mention I didn't want to be sent any jewelry (I have RocksBox for that :-).

So without further ado...Here is my Stitch Fix #1!


The box included a note from my stylist "Jackie."  It will be interesting to see if Jackie will be my stylist for my next fix or if it's a rotating thing. 


My First item is a "Margot Asymmetrical Zipper Coat" by Pink Martini in black.  I loved the cut and style of this coat and it reminded me of something a futuristic Kate Middleton type would wear.  My only issues were the color (I already have black coats) and I also didn't love how the there was a little peek-a-boo in the belly-button area (a little hard to see in this photo).  If it was a different color I would have definitely considered keeping it, but I won't be keeping this one.  (Notice I had a photo bomber!  Haha ;-)



Next I tried the "Esten Button-Up Sleeveless Blouse" by Collective Concepts in navy.  I liked this blouse, but it was a little too big on me (especially in the armpit area).  If it was a little smaller it would have been a winner.  Maybe next time - this will also be sent back.



Yea!  Here is the winner of the whole box!  I loved the "Holden Printed Swing Dress" by Tart before I even tried it on.  I have other things in my closet by this brand and this dress compliments my style perfectly.  This dress will definitely get lots of use my wardrobe.  And it's also great I can apply the $20 styling fee to the cost.



The "Angelina Cross-Front Long Sleeve Top" by 41Hawthorn in green was my least favorite item of the set.  The color was nice and style was interesting, but it did nothing for me when I tried it on.  I think it would look better on someone a little bustier than me.  This will be going back.



My final item was the "Ivy Grid Print Tab-Sleeve Blouse" by 41Hawthorn.  I liked this top, but again it was too big for me.  If it had slightly more shape to it, it would have been a keeper.  This last item will also be going back.



Overall, I was very happy with stitch fix.  I didn't achieve my goal of finding some new casual tops in this set, but I did decide to give it another try towards the end of October.  While I only ended up keeping one amazing dress, the other pieces definitely had potential to also be great.  I hope that my feedback regarding my sizing issues will enable my next fix to contain even more fabulous additions to my closet.

Interested in also trying Stitch Fix?  Please use my link - for everyone I know who signs up, I'll receive a credit to purchase something in one my next fixes.  https://www.stitchfix.com/referral/3184070

No comments:

Post a Comment