Monday, December 2, 2013

Monday Musings 12/2/13

Happy First Monday of December everyone!  It's back to reality after such a beautiful time in Antigua.   Here are some thoughts I have as the week gets started.  

1.  K vs. Pinchy 
There were lots of cute little crabs crawling around our resort last week.  I thought they were hermit crabs but I'm really not sure.   On our last full day, I decided I wanted to befriend one.   I remember holding hermit crabs during beach visits as a kid so I thought it wouldn't be a big deal.  As D and I were lounging beachside, I saw a crab cross our path.  Of course, I named it Pinchy and got up to go pick it up.  D told me not to.  I should have listened.   As I approached, Pinchy hid inside his shell.  I picked it up anyway.  This was a very stupid idea.   The next thing I knew, Pinchy emerged with a giant claw and latched on to my finger.  Yes, Pinchy broke skin and drew blood.  After panicking and shaking my hand, he let go.  I can report that I am now almost fully healed and no harm was done to Pinchy.   He hid in his shell for a bit before crawling away.  The lesson to be learned from this story is to not pick up creatures on the beach.  Here is a photo of Pinchy after the incident.  


2. Book Review: Valley of Amazement by Amy Tan
During my beach and pool time last week I finished this latest novel by Amy Tan. The Joy Luck Club has been one of my favorite books for many years so I looked forward to enjoying this over vacation.  This novel again focuses on mother/daughter relationships but within a single family.  The story moves very quickly and to be honest I had a hard time putting it down. I highly recommend it. 

3. Finding gym motivation.  
I've always been someone to workout fairly regularly and I was SUPER motivated to workout before my wedding  (of course).  Now that work hours are longer and daylight is shorter, I admit it's sometimes hard to motivate and get moving.  Variety definitely helps me but that can also sometimes backfire.  It's always a risk to try a new class or program if it ends up not being a good workout.  On the flip side, finding a great new class is a major win.  Even though it's not the new year yet, I'm going to make a resolution to make sure a workout happens 4 times a week.  And now that it's on the blog, I have to make sure it's true. ;-)

That's all for now!  Happy early December to everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment