Sunday, January 12, 2014

Stitch Set January 2014

In the interest in giving some new boxes a try, I decided "Stitch Set" be the first inaugural box of the year.  I'm a self taught, advanced beginner knitter.  The projects in my repertoire are limited to scarfs, hats, and baby booties (which I love to make as gifts for expecting family and friends).  When I heard about Stitch Set, I thought it would be a fun way to learn some new techniques and expand my collection of knitting patterns.

Stitch Set claims to be for the the beginning knitter, but also claims to be beneficial to all levels.  Each set includes a pattern with detailed instructions and all the necessary items to complete your project.  The monthly price is on the higher side ($39), but I decided to give it a try.  I figured that with the detailed photo instructions and all materials, it was almost like paying for a mini knitting lesson.

Here is my first Stitch Set.  It comes in a handy drawstring bag to carry your project on the go.


As you can see it includes everything: knitting needles, yarn needle, practice yarn, project yarn, scissors, a booklet with details knitting instructions, and a pattern.  Some Italian candies were also included.


The pattern this month is for a Garter Stitch Cowl.  


I have to admit I'm disappointed with this pattern.  The garter stitch is super basic and the cowl is very simple.  It's basically a mini scarf with the ends attached.  I'm going to use as much yarn as possible to either make a scarf or infinity scarf out of it.

I will not be subscribing to Stitch Set.  Even for a beginner, I don't know if Stitch Set is the best use of $39.  Someone who wants to learn how to knit would be better off purchasing a set of beginner knitting instructions (or finding a tutorial online).  If the price were lower (much lower), it might be an interesting way learn basic projects monthly.  The packaging and inclusion of everything to make the project was great.  I would be interested to see if there is a similar subscription for a slightly more advanced knitter (that is more reasonably priced).  

Does anyone know of a different knitting subscription service?

#knitting
#stitchset




No comments:

Post a Comment