Tuesday, July 16, 2013

July 2013 Birchbox

Time for the July Boxes to start arriving!  First up is Birchbox....

Just in case you aren't familiar with Birchbox - it's a beauty/lifestyle company that sends out 4-5 "deluxe samples" monthly.  The cost is $10 (or $110 for a yearly subscription).  You are then able to review each item on their website for points that can be redeemed for full-sized products.  Naturally some months are better than others, but it's always fun to try out a variety of products.  

Anyway, the theme for the July box is "Power Play" to help me "Take control of any situation."  I'm not really sure what that is supposed to mean, but supposedly the characters of the TV show "Suits" were the inspiration for some of these items.  I've never seen the show, nor do I really know how characters inspired these items, but I guess I'll give them points for creativity.

First up we have Mistral Patchouli Cologne Absolue by Atelier Cologne (full size: $70-$125, sample value: $1.25).  Usually I don't really have a strong opinion of perfume samples.  I enjoy having them for travel weekends or to take with me in my purse.  This cologne is quite masculine - not a fan.  It's so masculine I even checked on the website to see if it's a men's item.  Since it's listed under both the women's and men's fragrance areas, I guess it's unisex?  Definitely too strong for me.  Maybe my husband will like it....


Next we have an Acne Control Treatment by DDF (Full size: $44, sample value $12.94).  It seems like this product has good reviews, but I don't use salicylic acid products anymore.  Hopefully I can find someone who has use for it.


The Gentle Dry Shampoo with Oat Milk by Klorane (Full size: $18, sample value $6) is my favorite item in the box.  I've recently discovered how great dry shampoos are (especially in the summer heat).  This is a great size to go in my gym bag or purse for  little quick freshening up on a hot day. 


Now for my "Suits pick" - InStain Long-Wearing Powder Staining Blush by theBalm cosmetics (Full size $22, sample value: $4.40).  I'm not much of a blush wearer, but the color is nice (swiss dot (dark peachy shade).  Not sure how much I'll end up using this, but again I guess a little light color is always good to have.  Especially if it will help me "take control of any situation" (haha).


Finally we have my "birchbox extra" which is two very cute bobby pins (set of six: $5, sample value: $0.83).  These are pretty cute - I will definitely use them to accessorize my boring pony tail days.


The overall value of my July box was $25.42.  It's a great value, but always a little disappointing when the main item is something I know I won't use.  Of course, getting to try different things is the point of birchbox, so it makes sense that there are going to be occasional items that just aren't for me.


Interested in trying Birchbox?  Please use my link!  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment